Sunday, March 1, 2009

What Not to Do in an Interview

I would say that I conduct, on average, at least one interview a week. There are some terrific candidates out there and every once in awhile, I am floored by someone.

Last week I interviewed a candidate from the Conferencing industry. He had been with a competitor of ours for almost two years. Here is a list of words he used in our interview:

Fart
Shit
Stupid
Racist
Dude
Screw them
Just the guts were rotten
I like people as long as they are not screaming or complaining. No one like to eat shit all day long
(This is about him and his old boss getting in a disagreement ) Dude, we are going to have to step out back and fix this
Alternatively he said he would play hockey with his boss and “take it out on him on the ice”
Corporate America are conniving liars
My father wont get off my ass (about going back to university)

He concluded the interview with a little story on how he threatened to fly to Chicago so his boss could tell him to his face an activity requirement

A word of advice, we all worked for companies that were not a match for us. That being said, under NO CIRCUMSTANCE should you bring your baggage to an interview.

Employers are trying to determine how you will act in front of their customers, Your interaction with superiors, your psychological mind set and make up.

When I interview people like this, I wish my competitor had kept them on payroll!

Remember what your parents told you: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

This is incredible. It made be laugh out loud.

What a poor lost soul.
Did you offer him any advice? :-)

-Lynn Johnson
johnsonlynna@yahoo.ca