So how many cold calls should you or your team be expected to make in an hour? The answer has many variables. Depends if you are selling B2B (Business to Business) or B2C (Business to Consumer). It depends if you are using a CRM, how many fields and/or pages you have to fill out. Is your list is ready or are you making it up on the fly.
The short answer is 12 - 15 calls an hour.
In a perfect world your list would be prepared, you would know who you were calling and your introductions ready. If you are using a CRM, your list is in the CRM and you are using a filter so you can make one click to pull up your next lead record.
It can take 1 to 4 minutes to dial and reach your intended target. (Depends on if you have to go through a switch board or direct dial.) Depends on if you know who you are asking for or if ou are fishing for a contact. It will take another minute or so to leave a message and if you are a good multi tasker, you would have been entering or writing notes.
A minimum of 2 minutes a call x 12 calls = 24 minutes
At 5 minutes a call X 12 calls = 60 minutes
You can see how an hour can get used up pretty quickly.
If you are lucky, you will get someone who is interested in your service and you may only make 8 calls but gain a qualified prospect.
Here are some tips on Cold Calling Best Practices:
- Have your list ready and if you are interested in making commission, do your lists outside of prime cold calling hours.
- Make your notes while you are on the call if possible. As you are listening to hold music or waiting to leave a message.
- Make good notes when you find a prospect. Outline hot buttons, objectives, other buying influencers in the organization and the general conversation. If you are making 50 + cold calls a day, you can't remember everything. Your notes will save you!
- Don't stop! Don't stop for a coffee, don't start a follow up email, set a minimum number of calls or a time frame and stick with your goal
- Get their email address and set a follow up. Even if they are not interested, set a follow up for 6 to 9 months out. Their requirements may have changed or your contact may have left the company which makes a new opportunity.
- Do your follow up emails during non peak cold calling hours. Maximize your time.
If you look at the math, if you generate one more cold call a day x 220 work days and your close ratio is 10% - you could generate 22 more sales a year. If your sales are worth $1,000 = $22,000 more in sales.
1 extra call a day could be the tipping point to bigger commissions!
Good luck and happy calling!